Thursday, September 19, 2019

Week # 6: Capote

My first thought about the movie Capote is that it is about some deeply flawed human beings both the two criminals and Capote himself.  Capote uses his fame to weasel his way into the lives of the people of Holcomb and the criminal's live himself.  He appears to be there for them and has empathy but is doing so only for his own gain.  He uses the pain of especially Perry to entertain his friends.  It seems like a sick experiment and from what I know about Capote's life after publishing In Cold Blood, I think Capote paid for it with extreme guilt.  

Both Dick and Perry are also deeply flawed.  They committed a horrible murder and end up paying for it with their lives.  It makes me wonder about human nature.  How can people cause each other so much pain and for what?  Money? Fame? Fortune?  Is this the natural consequence of society measuring success in terms of fame and fortune over contributing to the good of humanity?  

I finished reading Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.  Both this novel and the movie Capote are about true crime and a person's journey uncovering the reason why the murders occurred.  In Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI the motivation was greed.  I have read the novel In Cold Blood a few times.  I think one of the motivations was greed but I would not argue it was the main motivation for either Perry Smith or Dick Hickock.  

Word Count: 263

No comments:

Post a Comment