Friday, January 24, 2020

Spring Week # 3: Application of Stoicism

The quote from Marcus Aurelius "Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so," is a divisive assertion in the power of free will.  I agree with it to an extent.  I feel that acts of god our beyond our control and it is hard to justify something truely tragic as something that "happens as it should."  

In my own life I had a fairly traumatic 2015.  My dad was diagnosed with brain cancer (Glioblastoma) and past away a week later on 10/9/15 from complications after the tumor was removed.  Three days later I broke my foot and could not come back to work until January.  Both instances, my dad's brain cancer and me breaking my foot were not things happening as they "should."  However, I think what was in my control, how I dealt with both situations, was "everything happening as it should."  I made a conscious choice to make the best out of a pretty terrible situation for me personally.  

I think a more accurate quote would be “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand" by Randy Pausch.  Expecting people to take responsibility for the fact that bad things happen to us or that there is suffering in the world seems to harsh, but expecting them to deal with the harsh reality of life in the best way possible is something doable.  


Word Count: 241

No comments:

Post a Comment