Friday, February 7, 2020

Spring Week # 5: Definition of Success


To me the heart of this question really is about what you value and what you want to achieve in this short period of time that we are alive.  In my last post I narrowed down my values to integrity and growth.  I think to me being successful would be for me to be continuously growing and living a life of integrity.  I also think success is better measured on how we contribute to the world vs. what we achieve for ourselves.  It sounds super cheesy, but I just want to help others grow and achieve their dreams.  My own "success" always ends up feeling hollow compared to the joy I get from playing a small part in making another person's day brighter.  

One of my close friends asked me what my end goal was career wise and was surprised that I did not have a destination in mind.  I think part of that is that I am currently in a place I did not expect when I was younger and I think I am a good fit here.  I know that if I trust my gut feeling and follow what I know is the right choice for me I will end up where I am meant to be.  I also feel that always striving for the next goal makes us lose perspective and our precious time to value.  If you spend all your life chasing after something you waste a lot of time not enjoying the small things which end up being the big things.  

So in a round about way I think success for me would be an internal state vs a destination.  I would feel successful if I got to a place where I have the wisdom and perspective to savor what makes life worthwhile, not sweat the small stuff, be present and open in my relationships and contribute in a small way to making the ones around me feel cherished, herd and appreciated for who they are.   

Word Count: 331

No comments:

Post a Comment